MGC Art Department Seeks Entries for the World in Conflict Juried Art Exhibition
Deadline: March 2, 2012 - The World in Conflict Art Exhibition is organized by the Art Department of the Humanities Division and the Big Read Committee of Middle Georgia College. All entries must be received by March 2, 2012 at 12:00 p.m. The artworks chosen will be displayed from April 2 - April 27, 2012 in the Peacock Gallery of Middle Georgia College. The opening reception and awards presentation will be April 2 at 6:00 p.m.
Theme: Artists are encouraged to consider many aspects of the World in Conflict theme, from their own personal perspective to the ways in which conflict has affected local, national, and world events in the past and present.
Awards: There will be an award of $150.00 for Best of Show.
Eligibility: Works in all the fine art media completed within the last three years are eligible. All art should be original works created by the artist. Photographs, original digital artworks/prints, and hand-pulled prints are acceptable. The competition is open to all artists in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
Jury Panel: The jury panel for the artwork will consist of the art faculty at Middle Georgia College and from two Community Arts Representatives from around the Cochran and Macon, Georgia areas.
How to Enter:
- Method of Selection: The artwork will be selected by digital images. The jury panel retains the right to decline any artwork that does not conform to the entry guidelines. Artists may enter up to 3 artworks. Please include one view of each 2-dimensional work. Up to 3 views of each 3-dimensional work may be included.
- Presentation: Artwork may not exceed 5 feet by 5 feet or 150 pounds in weight. All 2-dimensional artwork must be properly framed and have wire for hanging (no alligator clips or Velcro). Sculpture must sit on a flat surface or be prepared to hang. Please include directions for special installations. Improperly prepared work will not be chosen or displayed.
- Submitting Digital Images: Images must follow the stated guidelines to be considered.
- Send JPEGs with .jpg extension, no more than 800 pixels in the long dimension at a browser resolution of 72 dpi.
- Filename of each image: individual's last name, first name, middle initial and entry number (1st entry, 2nd entry, etc.) For example, John S. Doe's 1st entry would be DoeJohnS1.jpg. For multiple views of a single 3-dimensional work, add a, b, or c (ex. - DoeJohnS1a.jpg). Use letters and numbers only - no special characters or spaces.
- Email images as individual attachments to a single email. Put World in Conflict in the subject line and list your full name and address and give a typed and numbered inventory (same order as the JPEG images and including, the title of the artwork, medium of the artwork, price of the artwork (NFS if not for sale), and the date of creation).
- Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All components of the entry must be received by the deadline for consideration.
Paperwork: The same information included in the email for each image should be printed out and included as labels on the back of the artwork accepted for the exhibition at the Peacock Gallery at Middle Georgia College.
Entry Fee: None
Sales: Artists set their own prices. Artists receive 85% of the sales price; the Student Art League of Middle Georgia College retains 15% commission. Art does not have to be for sale.
Delivery & Pick Up of Accepted Work: Accepted work may be shipped or hand-delivered to the Peacock Gallery, Russell Hall, Middle Georgia College, 1100 Second Street, S.E., Cochran, GA 31014. Please call 478-934-3043 to make arrangements if you are hand-delivering & picking up your artwork. Shipping to and from the gallery (as well as shipping insurance) is the artist's responsibility. The artist must provide return shipping labels with his/her artwork and its container(s). Middle Georgia College and the Peacock Gallery will not be responsible for work damaged in shipping to or from Middle Georgia College. All accepted work must remain at the Peacock Gallery for the duration of the show. All artwork must be received by no later than March 30 at 10:00 a.m. All artwork that was hand-delivered must be picked up by May 4 at 12:00 p.m.
Middle Georgia College and the Peacock Gallery will take every reasonable precaution to prevent loss of or damage to your work while it is in possession of the Peacock Gallery. Middle Georgia College and the Peacock Gallery is only responsible for your works of art while they are in our possession, and not while in transit (either by you or your designee, or shipped to or from us). Artists are encouraged to insure their work in transit. Works left after the pick-up deadline become the property of Middle Georgia College and the Student Art League.
- March 2, 12:00 p.m. All entries must be received.
- March 30, 10:00 a.m. All work accepted into the show must be received by the Peacock Gallery to be hung.
- April 2, 6:00 p.m. Opening Reception and awards ceremony.
- May 4, 12:00 p.m. All hand-delivered artwork must be picked up